Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Why I am here.




First post of my first blog... I guess I should start by introducing myself and stating the purpose of this blog. My name is Tom, and I am an overcomer. I have a love for most things involving nature and survival; a drive to prevail and overcome (nikao in Greek). Under this umbrella fall a wide array of skills, but just to touch on a few and give a general overview of this blog I'll list the more predominant ones on my mind:
Camping/Hiking - Now I don't mean "camping", with an RV, that's not camping. I mean camping, the more primitive the better. As for hiking I love a long hill and beautiful view at the finish, and trail running falls under this category as well.
Fitness - True fitness, not just body building, but functional: strength, power, endurance, stamina, balance, coordination, flexibility, speed, accuracy, and agility. For those of you who know CrossFit this will sound familiar.



Survival - Camping skills fall under this one to a degree as well, but this isn't just "on a desert island" survival. This is "tourist in a new city loses wallet and cell phone" kind of survival as well.



Primitive Living - Really getting back to nature and the original, most basic state of our existence. Again, sort of another over lap, but you will find that these skills will all overlap to some extent, each supporting the others.



Self Defense - The skill and ability to not just survive a physical encounter, but to avoid one as well.



These all have one thing in common, and that is overcoming. Through the life of this blog, I intend to document and journal my experiences in the practice and application of these skills, and hopefully through that, to show what it means to truly overcome:
"Who is it that overcomes the world? Only he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God."



- 1John 5:5

Until the next post,
NikaoTom

No comments:

Post a Comment